The Lost Creek Covered Bridge is the oldest and shortest covered bridge in Oregon.
Originally built in 1881.
Approximate length 39 feet.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the bridge:
The Lost Creek Bridge is a covered bridge near the unincorporated community of Lake Creek, in the U.S. state of Oregon, about 15 miles (24 km) east-northeast of Medford. The bridge, at 39 feet (12 m) long, is the shortest covered bridge in Oregon. It carries Lost Creek Road over Lost Creek, a tributary of Little Butte Creek.
The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. In that same year, it was closed to vehicle traffic. A newer concrete bridge runs parallel to the wooden bridge and serves as a bypass.
Anecdotal accounts and limited evidence suggest that the bridge might have been built as early as 1878. If confirmed, this would make it the oldest standing covered bridge in the state. The Oregon Department of Transportation says that the official construction date of 1919 may actually refer to a renovation of an older bridge.
The sign above the bridge does say built about 1881.
Next to the bridge is a memorial and wayside rest stop and picnic area to honor John Walch and his wife, Marie.
Both the bridge and memorial are on land owned by the Walch family.
Below is a copy of the text on the sign.
Walch Wayside Park
John W Walch was one of the early ranchers that homesteaded in the Little Creek area in 1913.
This park is located on part of the original ranch and is maintained by the Walch family.
This is a amazing peaceful park, if you are ever in the area, stop by
All photos by Joanna Linsley-Poe copyright 2015 all rights reserved